Sunday 16 March 2014

Good Eggs

I just had to do a quick blog post on the importance of great eggs inspired by my brunch this morning- English muffin, smoked salmon, and the richest, most luxurious eggs. My god, what a treat it was. I saw my Mum at the beginning of the weekend, and she gave me these glorious eggs from The Black Olive Deli in Southwold (http://www.theblackolivedelicatessen.co.uk/). They were so pretty, the artist in me just had to take a picture.....


 Southwold eggs from Mum
 


I poached these for 4 mins 30 seconds, using a technique that my brother taught me and I've passed on to everyone I know (it's probably quite a common one, but he likes to think he invented it). You line a little glass or dish with cling film (use a big piece so it hangs over the sides), then pour a little olive oil in (you could use a flavoured one for a change). Crack in your egg, add some salt and pepper, and if you like it with a kick, a dash of chilli or hot sauce. Bring the sides of the clingfilm together at the top, and twist them together to seal it and form a perfect little egg-poaching package.

Then add to a pan of boiling water, and poach for between 4 mins - 4 mins 30 seconds, depending on the size of the eggs and how many your putting in one pan. Once they're done, fish out the little clingfilm parcels, tear off the clingfilm (I usually burn myself a bit at this point in my haste for food), and pop on a muffin or whatever you fancy! It's a great little technique, and much easier than most I've tried.


Egg poaching in motion- this blue egg was a double yoker!


I can honestly say, I did notice a difference between these hen eggs and any supermarket ones you can buy, and I wouldn't say that if I didn't mean it. The yolks were huge, orange and rich- they were incredibly tasty. The ultimate goal for me is to have my own chickens. That would be heaven. But until then, I will be snapping up proper free range eggs from small suppliers, when I see them, as it really does make a difference. I've still got 4 of these eggs left, so I guess I'll be getting my protein intake this week.


Al fresco Brunch


What better way to enjoy my eggs, than outside in the sunshine, amongst my spring flowers


This is what I'm talking about.





No comments:

Post a Comment